Facebook

Friday, 27 July 2007

Looking back and into the future.

Well the rest of July 2007 has been relatively quiet and I've had time to think back and ponder on the race that was. Although I believe I drove reasonably well given that I never once lost control, never over revved the motor or flat spotted any wheels during my run, and I managed to get down to a 1:39, I of course would really like getting a lot closer to Martin's times of 1:34's. (10 years of racing experience = 5 seconds)

I tried to recollect my lines that I drove and analysed them in a finer context. I also found and read up on some interesting race driving information and soon discovered a world that I had only heard about but never quite understood how it worked in the realility. It really boils down to later breaking, later turn-ins and faster out runs in corners. I also learned that you should prioritise certain sectors and thereby finding the quickest way around the track. A lot easier said than done I guess. So, I will be going down to Cape Town on the Thursday before the next race event (04th August - Wesbank National) and I will try to apply some of the further skills required (and those that I can remember, if any) to get around quicker and hopefully improve on my previous lap times set. For now I will not be doing anything else to the car to make it any quicker and rather prefer to get more race miles under the belt. Class X, here I come, ready or not.

Having just said that, in the interim I have manage to obtain an additional 1200 GX cylinder head as well as a set of stainless steel racing valves. Also, and in preparation for perhaps next season, I have also managed to get an upgraded crankshaft to be used in a spare 1400 block. But first, I have to learn to peddle the 'Green Mamba' faster at every opportunity available.

Yes I do realise that I must crawl before I can walk, but hey, there's nothing wrong with aiming high and falling short. Someone also once commented, "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines".

Till next month then.

No comments:

Post a Comment