Facebook

Sunday, 16 September 2007

A Great Cape Surprise

The annual North vs South race competition was after some reshuffling scheduled for Zwartkops for the 15 September 2007. This is generally where the best of the best challenge their opposition to finally lay to rest any unsettled scores in a gentleman like manner.

The Cape Town cars were loaded on the Wednesday before the race and one particular driver (Peter Sherman) was not able to fill the last spot due to mechanical problems. The Cape guys decided to fill the last place with the 'Green Mamba' and not say a word to me. I had never ever in my wildest dreams intended to compete at the Zwartkops track as I believed that more worthy competitors deserved to compete as well as that I had absolutely nothing to prove given my late start to a race career. Well, you should have seen my delight (and somewhat disbelief) as they announced it on the Thursday night at there guest lodge.

I left for home that evening (in a flat spin) and probably did 100 laps in my head trying to recall the race lines that I had actually sourced and provided to the Cape Town guys in preparation for the Saturday. The cars arrived on the Friday at lunch time and a few practice sessions were done. I finally managed to get down from a 1:23 to a 1:21 after some advice from more experienced drivers. (The usual times for my class and size of car at Zwartkops is about 1:18:5). I could not achieve any better on the day. I again went home, and ran a few laps in my head and tried to apply the good advice given during the day.

Race day arrived and qualifying was at 08h20. I applied all the skills and advice given and managed to qualify 13th on the grid at a time of 1:20:08. I was really chuffed.

Heat 1 and I managed to finish 7th and posted a best race time of 1:19:07. This was achieved with a superbly prepared 1400cc (1398 to be exact) and even outperforming some of the Datsun A15 (1500cc) car entrants who are locals at the Zwartkops track.









Heat 2 and I started well until about lap 4 where my brakes started fading and I was eventually caught out on turn 2 (with a floor brake peddle) resulting in a spin off. I regained (and lost about 15 precious seconds) and finally drove my pants off finishing 14th and taking 9th overall for the day out of a total of 34 competitors. And all this on a foreign track!!







I thoroughly enjoyed the entire weekend with a great bunch of guys (including 'Dancing Dave' who just refused point blank to dance at Zwartkops - great drive Dave) and was most chuffed with my achievements. But this was NOT about me. This was for a group of guys who made the decision to surprise me and give me a most unexpected gift and a racing memory which I will cherish forever. Thanks to Pete Sherman for his generosity and true 'Classic Car Spirit' sportsmanship.

It also goes without to say a BIG thanks to my brother Martin for getting my race car up and running again and preparing it to my greatest AWAY expectation.









Also as expected the SSS ran without any hiccups and performed well putting up some most respectable times in the likes of 1:12:9 around Zwartkops. Martin took 2nd overall in class C for the day out performing all but one local Zwartkops competitor.

Thanks Champ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment